News & Events
Now Available! Anne Selby film "ARASHI SHIBORI - Pleating on Silk" - 45 minutes of techniques and tools. Click here to view Anne's new film trailer
- The Surface Design Conference, in*ter*face, in San Antonio, Texas, USA, is almost on us, and Anne is a featured speaker in the programme. For the period June 3rd - 18th, the office will be closed, and any orders during that time will be processed on 19th - 21st June. www.surfacedesign.org
- Anne has just returned from teaching fashion students of Northampton University how to pleat leather using Compleat. This took place at the Institute for Creative Leather Techologies, and was part of a Creative Leather Applications course. Their response was hugely positive, as they created pieces for their degree and end-of-year shows, coming soon! Anne took the opportunity of access to finishing equipment in the tannery, to experiment with embossing pleated leather, with exciting results
- Anne taught a second 3 day course at West Dean, in Chichester, Sussex in March, and for the first time, showed participants how to make a small Fibonacci Boa. At her next course in 2014, this will be built into the programme as extension work on the basic pleating course, so more experienced pleaters can begin to experiment with multi-layering of different silks. As always, students worked extremely hard, from early in the morning to 10 pm at night, and went home laden with pleated samples and scarves.
- Leather careers day, Northampton University, 27th February. Anne exhibited her new developments in pleating leather at this exhibition event, which was an opportunity for undergraduates to explore work experience and career opportunities in the leather industry. It was a superb opportunity to get a response from the leather sector on how pleating of leather can be done using Compleat, and the samples caused significant interest. Anne will be continuing to develop her relationship with the Institute for Creative Leather Technologies at Northampton University during 2013.
- We are delighted to announce the appointment of a distributor for Asia,for the Compleat Wrapping Machine. Albert Chan is based in Hong Kong, and can be contacted on email@example.com .
- 30th July - 26th October; Solo exhibition at Whitchurch Silk Mill, Hampshire. 'From East to West - Pleating the Japanese Way' . www.whitchurchsilkmill.org.uk
- September: Guild of Silk Painters, Isle of Man Conference. Anne will also be speaking at this event, on the development of the Compleat Arashi Shibori Wrapping Machine. http://www.silkguildiom.org/Festival2013.html
- Anne is working with Pittards of Yeovil, the leather specialists, on pleating goat, sheep and bovine leather - more news to follow soon.
- Anne's work is featured in an exhibition 'Transformations' at The De Morgan Centre, Wandsworth. www.demorgan.org.uk, 14th November - 19th January 2013.
- Anne exhibited at Handmade in Chelsea, 16 - 18th November. Wonderfully organised as always by Piyush, and in a fantastic location, it was the event to be seen at! See an image of my latest show-piece, a 6 layered organza ruffle, being admired on www.handmadeinbritain.co.uk
- Anne exhibited at Art Couture Painswick, on 15th July - the only dry day for weeks! It was a great success; see their website to get a feel for this unique event. www.acpfestival.co.uk
- Anne’s work is to be included in Mary Schoesser’s next publication; ‘Textiles: The Art of Mankind’, Thames & Hudson this Autumn 2012.
- We are delighted to have been invited to make Anne's work available online for the first time through Boticca, an online boutique that specialises in unique design-led accessories. www.boticca.com .
- Anne recently returned from exhibiting at Eunique, in Karlsruhe, Germany. This was her first visit to a wonderful venue, with international exhibitors and visitors from many parts of Europe and further afield. Her catwalk show was a great success, leading to much interest and significant sales. A film of the catwalk show can be reached by clicking here
- Anne's work was on show at Henley Royal Regatta this summer, where it was much admired. www.hrr.co.uk
- WORLD SHIBORI NETWORK INTERNATIONAL SHIBORI SYMPOSIUM - HONG KONG
Anne spoke at this Symposium, and showed her new film on Arashi Shibori. She also participated in the Trunk Show, with great success. Four Chinese universities have expressed interest in the Compleat Wrapping Machine, and another visit to Hong Kong is now being planned.
- An article written by Anne on the process of making her film on Arashi Shibori has been posted on the SDA Newsblog. Click on the link to view. http://www.surfacedesign.org/newsblog/how-i-made-a-video-about-arashi-shibori
- MARGO SELBY Wearable Art Sale - Anne's work was included in an exhibition being held at Margo Selby's store, 4-11 Galen Place, London WC1A 2JR. This is likely to become a regular event to showcase wearable art designed by British artists.
- Origin - This took place for the second year at Spitalfields, in London, and was once again a great event for Anne. As well as making new connections with galleries to stock her work (including Edinburgh and London, details to be announced soon), Anne's work is featured by Hali Magazine, Cover, in their blog, http://covermct.wordpress.com/
- Art in Action - For the third year, Anne demonstrated Arashi Shibori techniques at Art in Action. It was, as ever, a wonderful event, with well over 20,000 visitors, and no rain (at least, not during exhibtion hours). Anne's space this year was huge, so she was able to demonstrate both her machine and hand-wrapping techniques, and on the first day, a hot discharge process. Her new range of Organza ruffles were a huge success, as was the new film, just released, on shibori pleating.
- We exhibited the Compleat Arashi Shibori Wrapping Machine at Texprocess in Frankfurt, Germany in May 2011. 16,000 visitors came through the show, and we met many potential customers for the machine and the 'Designed By' range of pleated silk scarves (see below for more about this).
- Over the last 6 months, we have been investing time and resources in the installation of a workshop in Sri Lanka, where two of our machines are being used by a team trained by Anne to make a 'Designed By' range of Arashi Shibori scarves. These are now available from the Grenville Room at the British Museum, where they have been selling extremely well. You can also order them direct from us - please call or email for details. Price £120, and four colourways available at present.
- Anne Selby Ltd was selected as one of only 15 finalist in the Born Global competition, a new initiative aimed at finding the best new exporting business in the South West, competing for a share in a £40,000 cash prize. 90 applicants presented their work and business to a panel of experts during January and February. 30 shortlisted applicants were then whittled down to 15, and the final took place on March 1st. It was filmed by the BBC, and was shown on Points West. We are proud to have participated and done so well.